Just think about it

“The brain named itself.”
Ever since reading this quote in a book about neuroscience, I still can’t seem to wrap my head around it.
Your brain is the control center of your body. It gives the signals to the rest of your body for movement, speech, and thought.
It’s your brain that labels things with a name so that it can be more easily recognized and identified the next time you encounter it.
This sentence makes me try and go back in my mind to the first humans who began naming things.
“We are going to call this wooden structure a chair. We are going to call that tall thing in the ground a tree.”
And so on. (Okay, I’m sure it didn’t go exactly like that, but you get the point.)
These people’s brains were what ultimately came up with the name for each object, right?
So then, when it came time to give a name to the thing between our ears that was naming everything, IT GAVE ITSELF THE NAME “BRAIN.”
I don’t know about you, but this melts my mind every time I try to think about it.

Comments

Popular Posts